Fire your imagination and spark your creativity with our 15th Annual Poetry Competition with Christian Aid, taking adults and children alike on a voyage of discovery through the world of chocolate, cocoa farmers Fairtrade and poetry.
Leading the judging panel in 2017 is Laura Dockrill, poet, illustrator and author of the Darcy Burdock books.
This year's Poetry Competition theme:
How to enter:
Students and adults can take part by writing a poem about Fairtrade chocolate. For the chance to win the competition follow our suggested prompts & tips and return all entries using instructions below.
Step 1. Download
Select the correct entry form:
Divine Chocolate Poetry 2017 entry form - individual entries
Divine Chocolate Poetry 2017 entry form - multiple entries
You can also use a poem template sheet:
Divine Chocolate Poetry 2017 Poem Template
Step 2. Get creative and write your poem!
Here's some questions to help you think about the theme ‘Sharing Tastes Divine’ in your poem
- When you buy Divine chocolate the cocoa farmers in Ghana get a fair price and a share of the profits too. What does that make you think?
- Think about sharing – does it make you feel good when you share? Does it make chocolate taste better?
- Think about how you use each of the five senses to taste and enjoy chocolate.
Top Tips for Winning Poetry Entries!
- Make sure your poem is about the theme: ‘Sharing Tastes Divine’
- This is the Divine poetry competition so make sure you mention Divine in your poem and not other chocolate products!
- Fairtrade is about empowering farmers so try to think beyond common stereotypes of developing countries
- Artwork is not judged, however if it is handwritten please make sure it is legible so the judges can read your poem!
Step 3. Return by the closing date 30th April 2017:
Make sure you include both the entry form and poem(s) together!
- English poems by email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- English poems by post: Poetry Competition, Divine Chocolate, 4 Gainsford Street, London, SE1 2NE
- Welsh poems by email: email@example.com
- Welsh poems by post: Cystadleuaeth Barddoni Divine, Cymorth Cristnogol, Llys Porth yr Eglwys, 3 Heol yr Eglwys, Yr Eglwys Newydd, Caerdydd CF14 2DX
Open to UK&I residents aged 7+ years. Closing date 30.04.17. Please see Divine Poetry Competition Full terms and conditions.
TEACHING RESOURCES AVAILABLE
Teaching resources from Trading Visions, a sister charity of Divine Chocolate:
- FREE lesson plans, educational videos and powerpoint presentations, including the bean to bar journey and a day in the life of Raphael, the son of a cocoa farmer in Ghana
- Order a bean-to-bar DVD or ‘Be a Cocoa Farmer’ activity kit