This recipe contains lots of Fairtrade ingredients. Always a winner with guests - if you can brave trying a soufflé!
- 135g Divine 70% Dark Chocolate
- 125ml strong black Fairtrade coffee
- 3 large free range eggs separated plus 2 eggs whites
- 2 tablespoons of brandy
- 3 tablespoons Fairtrade caster sugar
- Fairtrade icing sugar for dusting
- 4 x 300ml soufflé dishes or oven-proof large coffee cups
- A baking tray
- Brush the inside of the soufflé dishes with melted butter, and sprinkle with caster sugar. Set on a baking tray.
- Break up the chocolate and put into a heavy-based pan with the coffee. Set over a low heat and stir with a wooden spoon, until melted.
- Take the pan off the heat and beat the three egg yolks into the hot mixture so they cook and thicken it. Stir in the brandy.
- The soufflé can be covered and kept at a cool room temperature for up to an hour at this point.
- Half an hour before serving, heat the oven to 220°C/425F/Gas 7.
- Put the five egg whites into the food mixer and whip until stiff.
- Add the caster sugar and beat 20 seconds longer or until the mixture looks glossy.
- Gently heat the chocolate mixture until just hot to the touch then remove the pan from the heat.
- Stir in about a quarter of the whites just to loosen the mixture then add this mixture to the whites and carefully fold them together.
- Spoon into the prepared dishes and bake at once in the heated oven allowing 12–15 minutes for the large soufflé or 7–9 minutes for the smaller ones – the mixture should still be wobbly in the centre.
- Sprinkle with icing sugar and serve immediately.