An incredibly velvety torte. The bitterness of the chocolate marries with the earthy notes of the beetroot well.
Preheat oven to 150°C
- Start by boiling the beetroot in advance. Cover with water, add 100g of sugar. Simmer till the beetroot begins to soften and the liquid has reduced to a syrup.
- Place the slices of beetroot onto a sheet of parchment paper and place in the oven for 10-15 minutes till they go a little chewy.
- Put aside and leave to cool. Keep the syrup for a garnish.
- Bring the double cream, sugar and a good pinch of salt to the boil, remove from the heat. Add the butter and chocolate. Stir gently till just melted and combined.
- Pour into the baked pastry shell. Leave to cool and refrigerate.
- When you are ready to serve, dust with cocoa and serve with whipped cream or creme fraiche a slice of beetroot and spoon of the vibrant beetroot syrup.