Wickedly dark and indulgent, this chocolate torte is heaven on a plate. Created for Divine by renowned food writer Sue Ashworth.
- Divine Dark Chocolate has 70% cocoa solids - perfect for making this torte.
- Melt 50 g (2 oz) of butter with 50 g (2 oz) of chocolate in a saucepan over a low heat.
- Add the biscuit crumbs, stirring well, then tip them into a 20 cm (8 inch) loose-bottomed flan tin or dish and press over the base.
- Chill until firm.
- Put the remaining butter, chocolate, cocoa and brandy into a large heatproof bowl.
- Sit the bowl over a saucepan of simmering water and allow to melt, stirring occasionally. Cool slightly.
- Beat the mascarpone cheese to soften it, then stir it into the chocolate mixture.
- Put the eggs and sugar into a large heatproof bowl. Stand the bowl over the saucepan of gently simmering water and use an electric whisk to beat the mixture until light, thick and much paler in colour.
- Fold into the chocolate mixture.
- Pour over the prepared base and chill until firm.
- Turn out the torte and cut into slices. Sprinkle with cocoa powder and serve with single cream.