Sweet spice dusted doughnut batons served with warm sticky dipping chocolate and vodka sozzled cherries created by Terre à Terre's Head Chef who say's "The best bit is supping on very cold cherry scented vodka while dunking your churros into the warm chocolate."
- 500g strong flour
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon caster sugar
- 50g soya margarine
- 5g dried yeast
- 280ml warm water sunflower oil for deep or shallow frying
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 40g caster sugar
- 250g Divine 70% Dark Chocolate
- 300ml soya cream
- 2 tablespoons hot water
- 300g fresh cherries, stoned
- 200ml vodka
- 1-2 teaspoons runny honey
For the Churros
- Sift the flour, salt and sugar together in a bowl then rub in the soya margarine.
- Stir the yeast into the warm water, once dissolved make a well in the flour and pour in the yeast and water mix. Mix to a smooth dough either by hand or with a hook attachment on a mixer. Once formed, knead for 5-6 minutes.
- Cut the dough into quarters, cover with a damp cloth and leave for 5 minutes to allow the dough to puff up slightly.
- Next divide each quarter into 3 pieces and roll each one into a 10cm long cigar shape.
- Place the churros on a lined baking tray, cover loosely with cling film and allow to prove for 1 hour. They do not need to double in size as they will expand when they are being fried. (alternatively, if you are not ready to cook them, freeze them and remove from the freezer 1 hour before cooking.)
- Prepare the cinnamon sugar just by mixing the cinnamon into the sugar.
- Finally, deep fry the churros for 2-3 minutes or shallow fry (turning regularly) until golden all over.
- Whilst still hot, roll them in the cinnamon sugar.
For the Chocolate Dip
- Break the chocolate into pieces into a medium sized bowl.
- Bring the soya cream to the boil and pour on to the chocolate.
- Stir with a small balloon whisk until thoroughly combined, and then add the hot water.
For the vodka cherries
- Cover the cherries in vodka, cover with cling film and leave to marinate overnight.
- Add a small amount of honey if you prefer things a little sweeter.
- Chill the vodka cherries until needed.