These chocolate shortbreads created by our Chocolateer Gloria Lilley are dipped in Divine Orange Milk Chocolate and have been decorated with the Denkyem symbol. You can choose your favourite Adinkra symbols from our guide.
Ingredients (Makes 40+ biscuits)
- 375g organic plain flour
- 2tsps of baking powder
- 75g Divine cocoa powder
- 125g granulated sugar
- 125g unsalted butter, diced
- 125g golden syrup
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- Zest of two oranges
- 3 x 100g Divine milk chocolate and orange
For the icing
- 45ml water
- 250g icing sugar
- 8g egg white powder
- Practice piping your designs on parchment paper
- Zest the orange and infuse in the beaten egg.
- Roughly chop one of the chocolate bars.
- Sift the flour, cocoa powder and baking powder into the bowl of your mixer. Add the sugar and mix well.
- Add the butter and using the tips of your fingers, rub the ingredients together until it resembles breadcrumbs.
- When the butter is evenly mixed, add the chopped chocolate and mix well.
- Make a well in the centre and pour in the beaten egg and syrup. Beat with the paddle attachment on a low speed for about 3 minutes or until it forms into one ball.
- Place the dough on a board and give it a final knead, then divide in half and squash down into even sized discs.
- Cover with parchment paper and roll out. Cut into desired shapes then evenly place on a parchment-lined baking tray and place in freezer for 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 180C/350F gas mark 4.
- Bake for 15-18 minutes or until dark brown. Rotate after 10 minutes so all are done evenly. Be careful to watch that the biscuits don’t burn. Remove from the oven and cool on a wire rack.
- Melt the remaining chocolate then stir to cool. Dip the cookies and lay on parchment paper to set.
For the Icing
- Starting with the liquid put the ingredients into a bowl.
- Whisk together until stiff peaks form. Don’t overbeat or It will become grainy and split. Add a teaspoon of icing sugar at a time if you want a thicker consistency.
- Pipe your final design onto the cookies.