You can switch the dried fruits and nuts in this recipe for any Fairtrade varieties you like, but the combination of zingy lime with dark chocolate and sharp cranberries gives a deliciously Christmassy flavour!
- 50g plain flour
- 50g mixed peel, chopped
- 25g dried cranberries, thinly sliced
- 75g flaked Fairtrade almonds
- Zest and juice of ½ an unwaxed lime
- 50g butter
- 50g Fairtrade light brown sugar
- 50g golden syrup
- 200g Divine 70% Dark Chocolate, chopped
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C/160°C fan/gas 4 and line a baking sheet with baking parchment.
2. In a small bowl, combine the flour, mixed peel and dried cranberries. Chop the almonds roughly and add them to the bowl with most of the lime zest.
3. Measure the lime juice, butter, sugar and syrup into a saucepan and heat on low until the butter has melted and the mixture is bubbling. Remove from the heat and allow to cool for a minute or two.
4. Tip the dry mixture into the caramel and stir until well combined. Use a teaspoon to spoon small amounts of mixture onto the prepared baking sheet, allowing lots of space for them to spread in the oven. You will need to cook two or three batches to use up the mixture.
5. Bake for 10–12 minutes, or until golden brown. If any of the florentines do not flatten out properly, use the back of a spatula to press them down. Remove from the oven and leave to harden before transferring to a cooling rack and repeating the process with the remaining mixture.
6. Melt the chocolate in a heatproof bowl over a pan of simmering water until the lumps have disappeared. Use a palette knife or the back of a spoon to spread chocolate over the cooled florentines, then drag a fork through the chocolate to make wiggly lines. Sprinkle over the remaining lime zest and leave to cool.
Recipe adapted from Twist: Creative Ideas to Reinvent Your Baking by Martha Collison (HarperCollins) £16.99, available now