The ultimate recipe for chocolate brownies - rich, dark, moist and moreish. They are made with Divine 70% Dark Chocolate, so they taste great! Created for Divine by renowned food writer Sue Ashworth.
- Butter, for greasing
- 350 g (12 oz) Divine 70% Dark Chocolate, broken into pieces
- 250 g (9 oz) butter
- 3 large eggs
- 250 g (9 oz) dark muscovado sugar
- 50 g (2 oz) plain flour 1 tsp baking powder
- 75 g (3 oz) pecan nuts, chopped
- Make tiny treats by cutting the brownies into very small squares and popping them into sweet cases. That way they might last a little longer!
Preparation & Quantity:
Makes 9 large or 16 small brownies
Pre-heat the oven to 170°C, 325°F, Gas Mark 3.
Grease a 23 cm (9 inch) shallow cake tin with a little butter.
- Put the chocolate and butter into a pan and heat gently, stirring with a wooden spoon until melted.
- Remove from the heat and cool for a few minutes.
- Whilst the chocolate mixture is cooling, whisk the eggs and sugar together in a large bowl using a hand-held electric mixer, until light and glossy. This will take about 5 minutes. Add the melted chocolate mixture, stirring it in gently with a large metal spoon. Sift in the flour and baking powder and fold in with the pecan nuts.
- Tip the mixture into the prepared tin and bake for about 40 - 45 minutes until firm.
- Test the cake by inserting a fine skewer into the middle - there should be a few crumbs sticking to the skewer.
- Place the tin on a wire rack and cool for an hour, then cut the brownies into squares, remove from the tin and cool completely on the rack.