Use a good honey with a distinct, but not overwhelming, taste to balance the slight bitterness of the cocoa and almonds in these most elegant and light sponge cakes. Look out for special non-stick or flexible shell-shaped Madeleine moulds in cooks' shops and department stores.
- 7 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 large free range eggs, at room temperature
- 4 1/2 tablespoons superfine sugar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons well-flavored honey
- 1/2 cup plain flour
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup ground almonds
- powdered sugar for dusting
- Madeleine moulds, brushed twice with melted butter
Preparation & Quantity;
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 10 minutes
Recipe yield: Makes 20 servings
- Heat the oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit
- Melt the butter then leave to cool.
- Put the eggs into the bowl of a food mixer, whisk for a few seconds until mixed, then add the sugar and honey and whisk for 3 to 4 minutes until the mixture is very thick and light and the whisk leaves a distinct ribbon-like trail when lifted out of the bowl.
- Sift the flour and cocoa into the bowl and briefly fold in with a large metal spoon.
- Add the almonds and fold in, finally pour in the melted butter and mix in.
- Spoon the mixture into the prepared moulds so each is about three-quarters full.
- Bake in the heated oven for about 10 minutes or until the sponge can keep its shape when gently pressed.
- Watch the madeleines carefully as both honey and cocoa can easily scorch.
- Turn out onto a wire rack and leave to cool completely. Serve dusted with powdered sugar
- Store in an airtight container and eat within 5 day