Wickedly dark and indulgent, this chocolate torte is heaven on a plate. Created for Divine by renowned food writer Sue Ashworth.
- 75 g (3 oz) butter
- 2 x 100 g bars Divine 70% Dark Chocolate, broken into pieces
- 100 g (4 oz) digestive biscuits, crushed
- 1 tbsp Divine Cocoa Powder, plus extra for sprinkling
- 2 tbsp brandy
- 250 g (9 oz) mascarpone cheese
- 2 medium eggs
- 50 g (2 oz) dark muscovado sugar
- Single cream, to serve
- Melt 50 g (2 oz) of butter with 50 g (2 oz) of chocolate in a saucepan over a low heat. Add the biscuit crumbs, stirring well, then tip them into a 20 cm (8 inch) loose-bottomed flan tin or dish and press over the base. Chill until firm.
- Put the remaining butter, chocolate, cocoa and brandy into a large heatproof bowl. Sit the bowl over a saucepan of simmering water and allow to melt, stirring occasionally. Cool slightly.
- Beat the mascarpone cheese to soften it, then stir it into the chocolate mixture.
- Put the eggs and sugar into a large heatproof bowl. Stand the bowl over the saucepan of gently simmering water and use an electric whisk to beat the mixture until light, thick and much paler in colour. Fold into the chocolate mixture. Pour over the prepared base and chill until firm.
- Turn out the torte and cut into slices. Sprinkle with cocoa powder and serve with single cream.
- Cook's tip: Divine Dark Chocolate has 70% cocoa solids - perfect for making this torte.