Prohibition Bakery presents a rich chocolate cupcake with a tawny port ganache and espresso frosting.
- ½ c coffee stout
- ½ c butter, unsalted
- 45g Divine Cocoa
- 1 egg
- 75g sour cream or full fat plain yogurt
- 125g flour
- 200g sugar
- ¾ tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
- 4oz Divine Milk Chocolate
- 1/3 c heavy cream
- ½ c Tawny Port
- 1tbs unsalted butter
- 8 oz butter at room temperature
- 1 lb powdered sugar
- ¼ brewed espresso
- ½ tsp espresso powder
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees
- In an electric mixer, beat eggs and sour cream
- In another bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking soda, and salt.
- Combine coffee stout and butter in a small saucepan and heat until butter melts. Remove from heat and whisk in cocoa powder.
- While mixer is running, slowly pour in hot cocoa/butter mixture. Mix until fully incorporated.
- Slowly add dry goods to wet and beat until incorporated. Fill lined cupcake tins 2/3 with batter.
- Bake for 10 minutes and let cool on a cooling rack.
- Simmer cream over medium heat until just bubbling. Take care not to boil over.
- Meanwhile, chop the milk chocolate into chunks and transfer into a bowl.
- When cream is heated pour over room temperature chocolate.
- Let chocolate and cream mixture sit for a minute or so, and then whisk. When smooth, add the butter. Ganache should be glossy.
- While whisking, stream in port until incorporated.
- Transfer to a squeeze bottle.
- In an electric mixer, beat butter with paddle until fluffy.
- On low speed, add the powdered sugar.
- Slowly stream in espresso and beat until smooth.
- Stir in espresso powder and transfer to a piping bag.
- When cupcakes are cool, use a small pastry tip to core out the center.
- Fill the cupcakes with the port ganache, using a squeeze bottle.
- Frost the cupcakes to your liking.
Yield: 45 mini cupcakes