The perfect treat for a hot summer’s day, designed by our friends at Cabot Creamery Cooperative.
- 3-inch by 1-inch piece fresh ginger
- 2 cups light cream
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2 (3.5-ounce) bars Divine 70% Dark Chocolate, coarsely chopped, divided
- 1 1/2 cups (12 ounces) Cabot Lowfat Vanilla Bean Greek-Style Yogurt
- About 3 tablespoons chopped crystallized ginger (optional)
Makes about 1 1/4 quarts for 6 servings
- Peel fresh ginger and cut crosswise into thin slices.
- In medium saucepan, cover ginger with water, bring to boil and cook for 1 minute.
- Drain and return to pan.
- Add cream, sugar and salt. Bring mixture to boil over medium-high heat, stirring to dissolve sugar and salt.
- Remove from heat, cover pan and set aside to steep for 1 hour.
- Pour warm ginger-milk mixture through strainer into blender, discarding ginger.
- Add three fourths of chopped chocolate (set rest aside) and blend until completely smooth.
- Transfer to bowl, cover and refrigerate until well chilled.
- Whisk in yogurt.
- Freeze mixture in ice cream maker according to manufacturer’s instructions, mixing in remaining chopped chocolate at end.
- Serve sprinkled with chopped crystallized ginger if desired.