A puff puff is similar to a doughnut or a French beignet. Top these Divine puff puffs with a creamy milk or dark chocolate sauce or dusting of cocoa powder for the perfect finishing touch.
Chocolate Puff Puff
- 1 cup warm water
- 3 teaspoons active dry yeast
- 1 cup warm milk
- 1/2-3/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 Tablespoon salt
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 large egg
- 3.5 cups flour (add 2 additional Tablespoons if mixture too light)
- 1/4 cup Divine Chocolate Unsweetened Cocoa Powder
- Oil of your choice to be used to deep fry mixture
- 1 cup of melted Divine Chocolate, use either 70% Dark Chocolate or Milk Chocolate
- 1/4 cup cream
- 1 Tablespoon butter
Yield: Approximately 1 dozen puff puffs
Serve these puff puffs with fruit (we recommend strawberries) or with melted chocolate sauce as a dip!
To make the puff puffs:
- Mix salt, sugar, water, and yeast. Set aside for 5 minutes
- Melt butter with milk in the microwave
- Add melted butter, egg and milk to the yeast mixture, followed by flour and Divine Chocolate Cocoa Powder and mix thoroughly with spoon or hands
- Let the mixture sit for approximately 1- 2 hours
- In a large, sauce pan pour vegetable oil into a pot, until it is at least 3 inches (or about 5 centimeters) high (too little will result in flatter balls), and place on low heat.
- Test to make sure the oil is hot enough by putting a ‘drop’ of batter into the oil. If it is not hot enough, the batter will stay at the bottom of the pot rather than rising to the top.
- Using your hands, grab a little bit of the mixture at time and drop in the oil.
- When the oil is hot enough, use a spoon to dish up the batter, and another spoon or spatula to drop it in the oil, sort of in the shape of a ball.
- Fry for a few minutes until the bottom side is golden brown.
- Turn the ball over and fry for a few more minutes until the other side is golden brown.
- Use a large spoon or something similar to take it out of the oil and place them on napkins right away to soak up some of the excess oil.
To make the chocolate sauce:
Melt cream and butter along with Divine Chocolate 70% Bittersweet Baking Bar and Divine Milk Chocolate. (See tips on melting chocolate here.)