Created by pastry chef Teresa Ewing, these vegan truffles feature some imaginative coatings. This recipe took third place in Divine Chocolate's recipe contest.
- 3/4 cup raw cashews
- 3/4 cup cold water
- 1 lb. Divine 70% Dark Chocolate (+ more for dipping)
- Toasted Black and White Sesame Seeds (for rolling)
- Toasted Coconut (for rolling)
- Matcha Tea (for rolling)
Preparation & Quantity:
Preparation time: 15-20 min (ingredient set up and melting chocolate)
Cooking time: 15-20 min (rolling, coating, chilling & serving)
Recipe yield: Makes 25 servings
- Combine cashews with cold water. Let soak for 2 hours.
- Melt chocolate on stove in a double boiler, stirring occasionaly.
- Place soaked cashews and water in blender. Blend on high speed until mixture is of heavy cream consistancy. Set aside.
- Allow melted chocolate to cool until comfortable to work with, and fold in "cream" (cashew mixture) making sure not to stir too fast, or you'll create bubbles. Fold until smoothe.
- Pour into shallow dish, and refrigerate until truffle base has set (2hours or more)
- Once truffle base has set, using a 1oz. ice cream scoop, scoop out 1oz sized truffles, roll in your hands slightly, and place onto parchment lined baking tray.
- Chill in the refrigerator 5 min. Prepare Sesame Seeds, ToastedCoconut, and Green Tea in small dishes for rolling.
- Meanwhile, melt some more 70% Divine Dark Chocolate on the stove for coating the truffles. Cool slightly, and transfer chocolate into a small jar, or bowl.
- Remove formed truffles from refrigerator, and using a fork, place formed truffle into melted choclate coating evenly.
- Retrive truffle with the fork, tapping on the side of the bowl/jar to remove excess chocolate.
- Coat truffle completely in either Sesame Seed, toasted Coconut or Green Tea, and place on a mesh cooling rack.
- Transfer cooling rack to refrigerator briefly to set choclate, and Enjoy!