- 375g (2 ½ cup) self-raising flour, plus extra to dust
- 20g (2 tbsp) coconut sugar
- 240ml (1 cup) plant-based milk
- 40g (2 tbsp) melted vegan butter or margarine, cooled
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 50g (¼ cup) vegan butter or margarine, plus extra
- 55g (1/3 cup) Dark Hazelnut Chocolate
- 50g (1/3 cup) hazelnuts, chopped plus extra to serve
- 150g icing sugar
- 2 ½-3 tbsp milk
Preheat the oven to 160Fan/180*C and line a large baking tray with parchment paper.
Stir together the flour and sugar in one bowl and the milk, cooled vegan butter or margarine and vanilla essence in another. Add the wet ingredients to the dry and stir until a dough forms.
Transfer the dough to a floured surface and knead for 1-2 minutes until smooth. Carefully roll out to about 1/2-cm thickness into a rectangle (about 24 x 36cm).
Make the filling by melting together the vegan butter or margarine and the chocolate in a bain-marie until smooth and glossy. Spread over the dough in an even layer. Sprinkle over the chopped hazelnuts.
With the short edge of the rectangle closest to you, fold up the bottom third of dough to the centre and fold down the top third of dough to cover it. Slice into thin strips (about 2-3 cm) and twist each strip around themselves. Now twist each one into a knot.
Brush each bun with a little more melted butter and bake for 20-25 minutes until golden and risen.
Prepare the glaze by stirring together all the ingredients until smooth. Pour over the slightly cooled buns and sprinkle with extra chopped hazelnuts.