In the Spring of 2017, Divine Chocolate USA hosted Mercy Zaah, a Kuapa Kokoo farmer, in Washington, D.C. & Austin, TX. Alongside CEO Sophi Tranchell, Mercy presented at various meetings and events and was an extremely impressive spokeswoman for Kuapa Kokoo and Divine Chocolate. Explore some of the highlights of her visit below.
- Hosted a Divine Chocolate sampling event at Ten Thousand Villages Alexandria
- Interviewed by an NPR reporter
- Participated in meetings with local organizations/agencies, including: Fairtrade America, Winrock International, Women Thrive Alliance, Department of Labor – Bureau of International Labor Affairs, National Co-operative Business Association CLUSA, and the National Confectioners Association
- Participated in a round-table discussion, co-hosted by Oxfam America and Fairtrade America on the topic: “Gender Equality, Women's Empowerment & The Global Value Chain” – other participants included representatives from Fintrac, Women Thrive Alliance, Winrock International, NCBA CLUSA, World Cocoa Foundation, and Landesa Rural Development Institute
- Led a storytelling session at the Chicago Council on Global Affairs’ Global Food Security Symposium in D.C.
- Joined in a celebratory reception event co-sponsored by Fairtrade America, Cabot Creamery Co-op, and Heritage Link Brands with 75+ attendees -- included a chef cook-off competition featuring desserts made with Divine Chocolate
- Participated in meetings on Capitol Hill with 3 U.S. Senators & 1 House Representative
- Spoke at a coffee & chocolate pairing event with support from CRS Ethical Trade and Fair Trade Campaigns at Busboys & Poets
- Hosted a Divine Chocolate sampling event at Ten Thousand Villages
- Participated in meetings with Whole Foods Market Corporate HQ and Whole Planet Foundation
- Spoke at a beer & chocolate pairing event at Black Star Brewery Co-op